This spring, learn how to fly fish for trout at a free course being conducted by the Merrimack River Valley Chapter – Trout Unlimited and the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department’s “Let’s Go Fishing Program.” The five-session course will be taught by certified “Let’s Go Fishing” instructors Gerry Crow, Ron Hamel, Stan Jodziewicz, Dick Peterson, Burr Tupper, and Mary Weiss.
There are two locations to choose from: * HOOKSETT TOWN LIBRARY: Wednesdays, April 13, 20 and 27, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., plus an on-the-water experience on Saturday, April 30, from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m.
To register, visit http://www.hooksettlibrary.org or call (603) 485-6092.
* MANCHESTER CITY LIBRARY: Thursdays, April 14, 21 and 28, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., plus an on-the-water experience on Saturday, April 30, from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m.
This course is for you if you can answer “yes” to any of these questions:
* Do you want to learn how to cast a fly, but have nobody to teach you?
* Do you have a spouse or friend that wants to learn how to fly fish?
* Did you ever wonder what the fish were eating and what fly to use?
* Do you want to increase your depth of knowledge of fly fishing?
* Do you think learning to fly fish is too complicated and expensive?
Students are expected to attend all five classes in the course, including one class session on the water that will teach you everything you need to know to get started fly fishing.
Each one of the classes covers different aspects of the sport of fly fishing, from choosing the appropriate rods and reels to selecting the right fly.
You will learn the aquatic insects, how to identify them, their habitat and which flies to use to “match the hatch.”
Instructors will cover knots, on-stream safety and etiquette, and how to set up your own “system.”
The course includes an introduction to fly-tying (tools will be provided).
While in class, you will learn to tie a fly that guarantees you will catch a fish!
Other topics include fishing strategies and techniques and where to find good places to fish for trout in New Hampshire.
We will teach you to cast a fly rod (all equipment is provided). This series of classes is designed not only for the beginner, but also for intermediate fly anglers who wish to improve their skills. New Hampshire Fish and Game’s “Let’s Go Fishing” program is federally funded through the Sport Fish Restoration Program.
Find more classes at http://www.fishnh.com/Fishing/lets_go_fishing_class_schedule.htm.